March 9, 2009
In order to have any credibility when it comes to saving money the government needs to start with itself. It should immediately impose private sector standards on all its own activites. This would mean:.
- Executive pay – All cabinet ministers pay to be comparable with those in similar size European countries such as Denmark or Belgium
- Expenses – Receipts required for everything – Current practice of gratuitous per diems and allowances for non-existent hotel stays to end
- No more extra days off – No more Xmas shopping days for civil servants
- Benefit In Kind to be charged at market rates for parking in Dublin, education and canteen facilities
- No more junior ministers. The Taniste to be a sitting cabinet member with other ministerial responsibility
- Ministerial transport to be subject to benefit in kind if provided on a dailiy basis
- The introduction of a defined contribution pension scheme for all public servants and the closure of the current defined benefit scheme to new entrants.
- No use of government facilities by politicians for political purposes. No more pre-paid envelopes for political spam
- No more use of Aer Corps transportation for matters that do not involve national security